This is a multi-purpose networking tool, using plain text over TCP in different scenarii.
In this section, you can configure a TCP server to listen for incoming connections. The data received that way is shown in the Last message box and can be used in the other sections.
- Port: configure the listen port
- Listen: start the TCP server on the set port
- Stop server: stops listening
- Text encoding: the encoding is used to convert the incoming data into text
- Buffer size: the size of the receive buffer, in bytes
- Persistent mode: support for persistent TCP connections (as opposed to closing the connection after each message).
Log to file
You can choose to save all received data to a file. If the file doesn't exist, it is created. If the file already exists, data is appended to the end of the file.
- Log file: file path, can be relative to the executable location
- Write: toggle writing
In this section, you have various ways of sending data, manually or automatically.
- Address(es): add targets by name or IP address, press the + button to validate input
- Auto-repeat: everything received by the Listen server will be repeated to all the destination addresses (proxy mode)
- Re-send last: send the last received message to all the destination addresses
- File: select a text file, use the ... button to browse
- Send file: send selected text file once to all destinations
- Monitor file / auto-send: toggle watching a file for modifications, sending it automatically to all destinations when a change is detected
- Plain text: enter a text to send manually
- Send text: send the text from the previous input box
- Send errors: history of all errors that occurred during sending
- Clear errors: purge error history
Informations about the status of TCP Tools.
- Connection: status of the listen server, watch for errors (port already in use mostly)
- Infos: informations about the configuration of the server
- Version: application version
- Last message: last received message from listen server, with the date
Example use cases
- TCP proxy: allows monitoring data sent to a Multicam while keeping functionality active. Use Listen + Auto-repeat, optionally Log to file
- Basic receive test: allows validating network infrastructure, firewall settings, etc... Use Listen + Status
- Basic send test: allows validating network infrastructure, protocols, etc... Use Plain text + Send text
- File monitor: allows transforming file modifications into a network event. Use Monitor file / auto-send
Please sign in to leave a comment.